Monday, September 7, 2009

Buying Rubber

I read a post in Sujoy Sir Blog (http://masti-time.blogspot.com/2005/12/buying-condom.html) about his experiences in buying condoms for the first time to test the social stigma associated with the “f” word…. I read and thought… What’s the big deal.. Go to a pharmacy and say “Please give me condoms”…. With this in mind, I thought I will buy a pack myself… The first thought was wh not buy it from a local pharmacy…. Then thought, this guy I visit often to have my daily dosage of chocolates…. So, lets not spoil my image there… (As if I was going to commit a crime.. But then Ok… Anyway I am buying the stuff… right… So, I went to a little far off pharmacy…. And on the way all my machoism vanished…. I was thinking how fast I can ask for it and run off as if I had marijuana…. With these thoughts, I reached the pharmacy…. Initially there was an uncle with a his bald head shining…. We Indians always had respect for age and we never talk about physical stuff in front of them… So, lets wait till he leaves…. I showed extremely unnoticed trait of mine… read patience…. Once the uncle left…. I was about to ask what I wanted, when I saw a lady approaching…. I thought “Aasmaan se gire, khajoor pe latke… What if Aunty comes and sits here???”…. I mumbled something fast…. The shopkeeper nodded… I gave him money and I had my rubber… I thought about the usage and soft, rubbery and a balloon came to my mind…. I had 2 “Boom Boom Boomer” in my hand worth Rs 2/- :D and for all practical purpose, I was ashamed… So much so for a self proclaimed “Liberal”… Finally I decided to go back to the shop, once Aunty is no longer there…. I waited in the corner of the street, till dark green shade pallu of Aunty is no longer to be seen. Once she is gone, I went back to the shop… and I said “Condoms”!!!.... I don’t remember, listening my own voice… May be the shopkeeper was so much used to the “Great Indian Dilemma” that he could lip-read or could get my response. He gave a smile… I thought he said “Hota hai beta!!!” or may be “All the Best!!!”…. Either way, I had passed the test, may be with a grace marks :(.. There was no more test pending that evening.. I repeat, there was really nothing in plans for the evening…. I rushed down the street… Had a look at the box and then dropped the box at the garbage box…. :)… Are you kidding!!!! I couldn’t have brought that home… What if my roommate saw me and kicked me out of the home for bringing bad influence to him and his brother…. Anyway!!! Mission Accomplished…. But definitely, if an educated person and self proclaimed “Liberal” like me felt so embarrassed, no doubt population explosion and AIDS “Un-”Awareness is something which is knocking our door dangerously….

No comments: